Tuesday, November 18, 2014

The Italian Way


A lot of people ask me what it is like to live in Italy and what the differences are so I decided to list out items that you might find interesting.  I am in no way making fun of anyone here, I am just documenting some interesting cultural differences that I thought would be fun to share.  I hope you enjoy them, too!  

1.  Don't try to conduct any business, buy groceries, go shopping, buy gas, or do anything besides eat lunch, eat gelato, or drink espresso (don't you dare ask for milk either it is apparently a sin to have milk after breakfast) between 12:30 - 3 or 3:30 pm.  Don't worry, in Venice you can still get a cappuccino at lunch or dinner and they will know you are American.

2.  Don't even dream of having a "quick" dinner, that doesn't exist here.  Every dish and course takes time and is intended to be appreciated (and yes, the meals have been really good!)

3.  One glass of wine or beer is perfectly acceptable at lunch...awesome! 

4.  Driving feels like you are in an arcade driving a race car.

5.  You get very strange looks if you try to eat dinner before 7:30pm.  Once we went into a restaurant and we were turned away (it was 7:15pm) and the ovens weren't even ready yet.  They said we could sit down and have a drink though.

6.  I can't believe how tiny and curvy the roads are.  Some "two lane roads" require you to stop and pull over as far as you can so the car going the opposite way can get by (two cars going opposite directions won't really fit). 

7.  I find it interesting that you order your food and drink and the only time you see the waitress is when they bring your food and drink.  They don't come back to your table every 2 minutes like they do in the US.  If you need something all you do is wave them down or go tell them you want another drink and they are happy to do it.  I hear it is because they don't want to interrupt you (back to number 2 above, your meal, company, and wine are to be appreciated).  I have really learned to love this one.    

8.  I love how Italians are so willing to walk up to you and ask if they can pet your dog and they want to ask what her name is and how old she is.  They absolutely love dogs here and you can take them to most restaurants, stores, etc.  We have never had a problem finding a hotel also. 

9.  Beauty and appearance mean so much.  You really don't see "run down" old towns, you see old towns with a ton of charm.

10.  You know you have been living in Italy too long when you have to separate your scarves into "summer" and "winter" so you can see what you have in your scarf closet...yup...I won't tell who has this problem.

11.  You have to put a 1 Euro coin in the cart at the store if you want a cart. You get the coin back when you return the cart.  I like this! No run away carts in the parking lot.

12.  Some Italians appear cold from the outside to Americans, but the reality is they are very warm and friendly people when you know them!  For example, when you walk down the street in the US (especially in the south) the person going the opposite way says "hello", "good evening", etc.  I think Italians don't waste their energy on people they don't know.  Because once they know you, they are so inviting, friendly, and very polite.

13.  The meat and milk here don't have the antibiotics and all of the junk we find in our foods back in the USA.  This makes me very happy, because I would have to spend so much extra back home and really read labels.  Yes I am a grass fed, free range chicken kind of girl.  From what I understand it is illegal to put that stuff in the food here in Europe.

14.  Fresh fruits and veggies are very seasonal and you rarely find anything exotic.

15.  There is a farmers market on Tuesday and Friday for fresh veggies.

16.  I ride my bicycle or walk to the grocery store several times a week.  I also make trips to the pasta shop and the bakery.  It is funny how much less you buy when you have to carry it or bike it home.

17.  Things are definitely not wasted here.  You may see a chip in a plate or a chip off the bottom of a wine glass and it is still used as long as it functions.   

18. I love the toaster technology!  You have a tray you lift out of the toaster so you aren't digging in there with your fingers or a fork to pull the toast out.  Let's be honest, when the toaster pops up, it is never high enough to pull the toast out without burning your fingers.  Then you tip the tray on it's side and voila! toast without burnt fingers. 

19.  Italy has the shortest lines, but the widest in the world.  Making a queue here does not exist.  I am still struggling with this one....

20.  I fit right in since I can't talk without using my hands either.  I love that Italians are so willing to help you learn the language or correct you if you are speaking incorrectly.  They just really appreciate the effort in speaking their language. And the idea of an American trying to learn the language is even better to them. 

21.  A frequent conversation goes like this....
Person: says something in Italian, usually I am asked for directions once a day (no joke, ask anyone who as visited)
Me: I answer
Person: They shake their head then say "you aren't Italian?!"
Me: No
Person: Are you German? English?
Me: No, American
Person: "CHE BELLA!!"

22.  Americans want to live in Italy, Italians want to live in America......

23.  If you are lost, go seek out an older man sitting in a piazza (but save some time for conversation and a smile).  They love to help out especially after they find out you are an American in their tiny town.  Frequently hiking trail heads will start in tiny mountain towns and sometimes hard to find so I ask where it is. 

24.  They don't split of the bill here in a restaurant.  I pay this time, you pay next time, etc.  If you do want it split up you can say "alla Americana".  LOL Apparently Americans and Romanians are the few who split the checks.

25. I go to the post office or the Tobacco shop and pay my bills in cash.

26. You really can't understand how much better food tastes here until you come here!!  Everything is freshly made and a lot of love goes into the food.    

After talking with my Italian teacher, Cristina, we realized there are a few items missing...

27.  You don't find many plastic bags here, they have bags that are biodegradable and cost .10 if you forget your bag.  

28.  I have to take garbage out 5 times a week!  Each day is something different.  For example, one day is cardboard, one day is plastic, one is glass, etc...

No comments:

Post a Comment